Director, Cognitive-Behavior Therapy Program
Associate Director, Psychology Training
5841 S. Maryland Ave., MC 3077, A312
Chicago, Illinois 60637
Patient Calls: 773-702-3858
Education & Training
- Ph.D., Loyola University Chicago, 2001
- Internship, Advocate North Side Health Network, 2000-01
- Post-doctoral Fellowship, Advocate IL Masonic Behavioral Health Services, 2001-02
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, IL & IN.
- Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT)
- Anxiety & Mood disorders
- Couples therapy
- Women’s health
- Cultural competence
- Training & supervision
- Anxiety & Depression
- Women’s health (Reproductive endocrinology & infertility)
- Stress & coping
- Director, Introduction to CBT, PGY-II curriculum
- Director, Advanced CBT, PGY-III curriculum
- Director, Professional Issues, Psychology internship
- Director, The University of Chicago CBT Clinic, Psychology Externship
- Lecturer, MS-3 clerkship, Pritzker School of Medicine
- Association for Behavioral & Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Zechmeister, J. S., Garcia, F., Romero, C., & Vas, S. N. (2004). Don’t apologize unless you mean it: An empirical investigation of determinants of forgiveness. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 23, 532-564.
- Vas, S. N. (2002). Expressive writing about interpersonal offenses: Effects on forgiveness and health. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering, 63, 3028.
Selected Conferences & Presentations
- Grathouse, H., Vas, S. N. & Stephenson, M. (2008). A preliminary analysis of psychological distress and coping with recurrent pregnancy loss.
- Vas, S. N. & Zechmeister, J.S. (2002, August). Expressive writing about interpersonal offenses: Effects on forgiveness and health. Poster presented at the 110th Annual National Convention of the American Psychological Association, Chicago, IL.
- Garcia, F., Zechmeister, J. S., & Vas, S. N. (2000, May). Forgiveness and retaliation following an interpersonal offense: A laboratory investigation of arousal, harm, and apology. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago, IL.
- Zechmeister, J. S., Vas, S. N., & Garcia, F. (1999, October). The relationships among arousal, empathy and forgiveness. Informal presentation at the Symposium for Forgiveness and Reconciliation, Boston, MA.
- Vas, S. N., & Catanzaro, S. J. (1998, May). Using the tripartite model to understand the relations of anxious and depressive symptoms with coping strategies. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago, IL.
- Invited lectures at Loyola University Chicago, Southlake Center for Mental Health, Merrillville, IN, Argosy University, Chicago Campus & Sion Medical College, Mumbai, IN.
- University of Chicago, Wellness Committee, Pritzker School of Medicine.
- Community Health, Volunteer Psychologist & Consultant to Social Services Program.